This is a picture from project meal which is a weekly dinner we provide for the students on Tuesday night!!!
This is me and a guy named Daniel that I lead at school jousting on our homemade jousting plank. Its a ton of fun!!!
Well, I went to Starbucks this morning, as I do most mornings, to studying the word and get some personal time, not to drink coffee and I saw a man there that I have met before and had conversation with on other days. We saw each other and exchanged the polite hello but continued to do what we were doing. As I sat and studied, I felt the Lord relentlessly prompting me to strike up more conversation with this man. To catch you up a little on past encounters, I have met Ron twice and talked extensively with him once. In our only real conversation, he was very engaging and talked at length with me about some of his business (insurance) and also about some of his past and experience with the church. In a lot of ways, seeing his demeanor toward me today, it seemed that our first conversation was more of a sales pitch. But, I don’t want to assume too much here and under appreciate some of his honesty in our first conversation. So, in light of this, I was a little hesitant to start a conversation with him, wondering if he really cared to talk with me. Maybe I was just getting this feel because he saw I was studying and he did not want to disturb my time.
Anyway, I eventually started a conversation with him about his business and other aspects involved with it and found out that the man he works for and is a partial partner with does a lot of investing in random stuff like cow hides, granite and even hardwood floors. Anyway, the conversation got on the lines of investment and it was at this point he told me that I should invest some money and make some money. I felt prompted by the Lord at this point to share with him a little about what my investment portfolio looks like. I told him that what I consider to be valuable investments are influencing other people’s lives in an eternal way. I share just a thought or two on this when he gave a response to me that really spoke a lot about the way he views his “spiritual” life and how that relates to his “reality”. He said, “Yeah, but wouldn’t it be nice for a person to be praying to Jesus, knelt on a hardwood floor, in a nice kitchen with granite countertops and having all their material needs met.” (this is not an exact quote but as best as I remember and along the same line as what was said) He talked a little more about this idea and it became clear to me that his main concern was quality of life and how God could help in that. I told him that I definitely believe that God wants us to be happy but not at the cost of Him being second in our lives. I explained to him that God wants our happiness to be totally wrapped up in Him and if He gives us gifts, one, He wants those gifts to increase our love for Him and, two, He wants us to steward those gifts as if they were not our own but His.
I went on to talk a little more about the story of the rich young ruler and how Christ challenged the man to sell everything because He knew that money was sitting on throne of his heart where Christ needed and wanted to sit. So, salvation was not wrapped up in doing certain things but cherishing Christ above all. (just like our theme GAIN!)
Well, our conversation came to an end after a few more minutes and I am not sure how Ron is feeling about all that was said, but I would ask that you guys would join with me in praying that the Lord might give me another opportunity to talk with him again.
A few thoughts in closing I had about this were just seeing how much our culture revolves around using any means necessary, even religion, to gain what they value most. It seems that in so many ways, we at times believe that God exists to be at our beckon call and give us what we want. Some have turned the beauty of the cross into a means of a comfortable life with all the amenities. Christ did not come and die so that this life would be posh and become our home. The Son of Man was an alien and stranger in this world and so should we be. Christ came to give us life and life in abundance which is completely wrapped up in knowing God, as John 17:3 says. Yes, God wants to provide for our physical needs and does, but not all the time. He never gives us something that will contradict Himself being our highest treasure and that is a prayer we should pray for ourselves. Alright, just some thoughts to share and if you guys have any comments or questions to go along with this, feel free to post them on the blog. Thanks Ben

No comments:
Post a Comment