Monday, May 7, 2007

The Leadership Project Retreat!

(The leadership Project is our summer group program we offer students.)
Hey guys, we had our retreat this weekend for our summer training program and I it really got everyone excited about the summer. Our theme this summer is one that gets me really excited and I think it is going to be a great focus for all of us. One of the guys I lead wrotes some of us an email about the weekend and so I will allow him to tell you about the theme.
"Anyway, just got back earlier today from Greenville for the Leadership Project retreat and I can't even begin to tell you guys how excited I am about the summer and the things that the Lord has in store for me and the others that are headed to the Project. The theme is "Gain," as in Philippians 3:7-8 ("But whatever was to my profit I now consider loss for the sake of Christ..."). I was really encouraged as Dave Baxter began to explain this theme and really how this idea could radically change my life and the lives of others at the project.One of the biggest ideas I took from the weekend was a point that Dave made on Friday, when he said that to lose everything for Jesus is not a life of sacrifice, but a life of gain. He then went on to say that we are not to just willingly or dutifully follow Christ, but to follow him joyfully. This perspective was so fresh for me and really put into words what I want for myself to develop this summer and for the rest of my life. I've seen glimpses of this type of life, but I want to honestly live the Christian life in the joy of following Christ not in the duty of being a Christian. For me, this summer, I believe this really will be one of greatest areas of growth, as I prepare to lead the other guys in my room. A quote and way that I'd like to see us all live by this summer and into next school year says, "Catch yourself on fire for the Lord and then let your people see it." I want my ministry this summer to be a ministry of overflow; one in which I have so much joy in learning I have to share it with those in my room."

No comments: